Bulgarian Cartographic Association (BCA) was established on 8th of April, 2011 by forty Bulgarian cartographers and specialist connected to cartography field. They met in Sofia for establishment of Bulgarian Cartographic Association.
The main tasks of the Association are:
- To consolidate and legitimize its members to the public, state and municipal administration and institutions;
- To represent and protect the interests of its members to the public administration and provide support for its activities;
- To offer motivated and reasoned opinions about changes in legislation on cartographic activities;
- To collect and disseminate information on the development of cartographic activities in Bulgaria;
- To promote and disseminate information on international cartographic activities;
- To assist in further training and to stimulate young cartographers;
- To participate in and organize national and international events and conferences;
- To organize a network of institutions to take joint decisions on the development of cartography in Bulgaria;
- To represent the Bulgarian cartographic society to the international organizations.
The establishment of BCA is already approved by Bulgarian law-court and strongly supported by the Agency for Geodesy, Cartography and Cadastre, Association for Geospatial Information in South-East Europe, many private GIS and cartographic companies, different institutions of Bulgarian Academy of Science and several Universities.
BCA was chosen for national representative of Bulgaria in the International Cartographic Association in Paris, July 2011.